Thursday, November 12, 2009

New Orleans Cemetery

      Ok, I am finally home, but I have one more series of New Orleans images to share with you. Our last morning there my father and I went to the cemetery, mostly just because I wanted to shoot it.  In New Orleans they don't bury the dead in the ground because the ground is so wet that when it rains the coffins come back up. Yea, not pretty, so they built above ground cement houses for the bodies. So the cemetery is like a little city, in fact they call them "Cities of the Dead".
It was larger than I expected and I being so absorbed in photographing all the tombs, I got separated from my dad. It was a cold, windy morning and very overcast plus there was nobody around. I got myself all freaked out. (Yes, I'm a wuss; I know.) After calling for him for about 20 minutes I did find him, talking to the creepy grounds keeper. This was definitely one of my favorite parts of New Orleans.




No comments:

Post a Comment